• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on LEDs

Waves in Glass is offline Registered User
      My status is: Providing outstanding Customer
      Service

I am:
      Happy

Feedback on LEDs

I have provided several group buys on LED fixtures for several members here. I have started this thread to get feedback from those that have purchased LEDs from me.

Would like to know your observations on Coral growth and coloration. coraline growth, and anything else you have noticed since your use of LEDs.

Oh... and if you would like to include Pictures all the better

I will make my observations soon.

Thanks

LarryM
      Last edited by Waves in Glass; 02-13-2011 at 10:32 PM.

SD Actuary is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have had my LED's for just over a month now. They are working great, the color is awesome. My corals are opening up much more than my T5s. Will post more later when i have had more time to observe the overall coloration and growth.

Overall a great unit.

kthehun89 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Love this fixture, corals even more so.

john_blaze is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

You can't really beat them: sleek design, good par, and an awesome price. Only (minor) complaint I have is the fans are kinda loud at first (then you get used to them). Larry also has awesome service when it comes to repairs/maintenance. I will post a pic of my setup as soon as I get a chance.

Last edited by john_blaze; 02-14-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: FTS added

ensiferum321 is offline Site Elder
      My status is: To be continued

I am:
      Piratey

Great price, sleek design and bright. Different controls a huge plus. Built to last.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
      Last edited by ensiferum321; 03-14-2011 at 07:21 PM.

splitkooks is offline Registered User
      My status is: Building my 'nem farm

I am:
      Piratey

Killer lights!

I will update and write more when I have a moment, heres a picture of my 60g cube +20g sump lit by a custom ratio 2b:~1w 120w.

brianth3lion is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Had these lights for about 3 months now. A lot brighter than I thought they would be. Actually a lot brighter than my 250w SE MH.

My browned out rainbow monti is starting to turn blue as well as my other SPS. Gonna buy a clam soon and see how it does under these lights, which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem at all.

I had a break out of cyano algae due to the lighting change, but nothing a few water changes, light schedule acclimation, and tlc took care of. Also, not as much overall blue color on the tank as I'd like, but I got used to these lights easily. All my colors still have a nice pop in them.

I have 2 120w modules, 50/50 white and blues. my tank is 60wx17dx18h

great lights so far =) thanks larry

Shemp is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i have 2 of the 120w lights, will have 4 eventually. These are great, the optional controller is a MUST! so simple and flexible. Also you can get many ratio's of lights, and choices of kelvins for your whites and nano meters for your blues. Mine fit wonderfully inside my hood. I have had only GREAT interactions with Larry, he is always willing to help and give advice, and back's upevery claim he makes.

H4Rk3R is offline Registered User
      My status is: Garage Sale Time

I am:
      Happy

so far i love them, 2 120w units replaced 2 150w se mh, and a 4x54w t5 setup. everything is really happy. all corals are open and happy, no stretching for light from any of the polyps on the bottom of my 150 (2x2x5). my only SPS is also coming back from the dead, can even see polyps coming out now that i have the LED units.

Might add that I did have 2 10" solar tubes installed last weekend, but I think i still prefer the LED units.

goody is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm pretty sure I was in on Larry's first GB for these lights. I bought 2 120w black fixtures with timers that had Larry's choice of 14000K and 453nm. They are on my 90g and I am VERY pleased with these lights.

I was getting decent growth with my sps and zoas/palys using my 6xt5s, but I knew it could be better as well as color, so as my tank became more sps dominant, I wanted more lighting. Since LEDs are the future in aquarium lighting, I bought these hoping to see improvement in coral and a decrease in electric bill (Can't really comment on the latter since we were running our house heater a lot during winter).

In the few months I have had these lights up and running, I have noticed great improvement in color and growth, mainly for my sps. I even have some sticks on the sandbed, 30" down from the lights, that have great color. Zoas/palys continue to do well with these lights as well, and simply glow when only blues are on.

I did have a circuit go bad within the first week, but Larry came over and replaced it with a new one. It was actually pretty cool to see inside the fixture and how easy the fix was. Have not had a problem since. Larry was also kind enough to help me out with the timers and getting them in sync as far as which circuit would control blues and whites and setting up somewhat of a dusk to dawn effect.

I do agree that the fans are a bit too loud. I actually went in a disconnected two fans from one of the fixtures to compare the noise level. It is quite a bit quieter than the one running 3 fans, but the fixture does run a little warmer. I have talked to Larry about replacing these fans with quieter ones (SilenX), which I am will do in the future.

I also decided to use two t5s as supplement lighting. Right now I have a Fiji Purple and a Blue+. It was a personal preference, but I didn't want to have the blues on for a few hours by themselves, so the t5s add a nice look for a couple of hours.

All in all, these are GREAT lights. I am thinking about buying one for my frag tank. Below is a pic. of how I have mine mounted and one growth shot. I will post some other pics. so you can see other growth shots and color I'm getting with these lights (hopefully my camera skills can capture it).

11/26/10, Diablo Milli (left), Pink/BubbleGum Milli (right)

Pink/Bubblegum Milli

Diablo Milli
      Last edited by goody; 07-30-2011 at 07:59 AM.
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

titmouse is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I just replaced my 4x 250w MH setup (14k radiums) with LEDs from Larry. My tank is only 18" wide, but 27" deep. Light penetration at depth is as good as MH or better. Colors are better. And, most importantly, corals look better. I am simply amazed by the improvement.

Oh... and my temp swing dropped from 3-4 degrees a day to less than 1.

mmoore0803 is offline Registered User
      My status is: ?

I am:
      Piratey

I finally got 3 of these lights and hung them over my 240g They look sweet! The only downside is the fan noise but after disabling 2 fans in each housing, they are perfect.

Thanks again Larry.

titmouse is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Jason,

Send me a pm with you email.
      I have some shots of my tank with all three stages of lights. I also have a few side by side pix with this fixture vs a brand new 250w 14k radium (the led was brighter at depth and had better color fwiw). I keep a clam about 24" below the light with no issues at all.

One additional note... I put these in back in March. With two full utility bills in I'm saving about 35% on my utility bills every month as compared to my halde setup. My chiller hasn't turned on once since install. At this rate, these light pay for themselves much much faster than I had planned.

AFUreef is offline Registered User
      My status is: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

I am:
      Crazy

I have been running these LED's for about 4 months and all i can say is AMAZING. 2 fixtures running a total of 240watts. compared to what they replaced 760 watts 2 mh and supplements. As always thank you Larry.....

zfan4life is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

These LED's will be my second set of LED's. I first went with AuraLED Custom built LED's even against Larrys recommendation. AURALED REVIEW. I installed these two days ago (when i say "I" installed these, i mean jschnepfs ) and instantly saw a difference in luminosity (brightness). I will be preforming a PAR test and posting it in my review as well. All of my coral is doing well. I will also be taking some growth pictures before and after to show how quick everything grows. Thank you Larry. These truly are great fixtures!

Thread Information