• + Reply to Thread
    Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Multichip LED Build

acabgd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
      @acabgd please explain how to control the dc converter for dimming?
      Something like this:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUAC-LED-DIM...item27cbd17433

or this:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12-60V-15...item4d03f81c83

but please, I'm not saying in any way that I got it riht. Actually any help will be apprciated.

acabgd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Double post

reza is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

DIY Multichip LED Build

Is it possible to use a digital LCD controller with that dc power modules?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

DIY Multichip LED Build

LED not LCD sorry.

jg210302 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Has anyone made any progress on any of these yet???

Lasse is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hi

Here is some pictures of Janneīs driver card for the 100 W multichip. Five independent channels. To this its also needed an adjustable 36 volt DC source and a controller. The controller shall work with i2c (3.3V i2c signal and communicate according to the protocol required). There will also be a separate control unit that can control up to 4 drive cards.

The card is ready for beta testing and I hope to do some tests upcomming weekend.

Size 68 x 89 (93 vid RJ-45) x 27mm

Sincerely Lasse

007Bond is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Lasse, That's good news the driver is ready for testing. As usual I have a few questions. You said the drive card needs a 36V source and a controller. Will one 36V supply support multi drive cards, and what will you use as a controller until the 4 drive card controller is ready?
      I'm looking at a controller for Meanwell drivers that will control 4 drivers also. Why do you think these controllers are built with only 4 devices in mind, why not 5-6?

Hope your starting to feel better. I'll watch for your 8900 testing.---RICK

ronreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
      Hi

Here is some pictures of Janneīs driver card for the 100 W multichip. Five independent channels. To this its also needed an adjustable 36 volt DC source and a controller. The controller shall work with i2c (3.3V i2c signal and communicate according to the protocol required). There will also be a separate control unit that can control up to 4 drive cards.

The card is ready for beta testing and I hope to do some tests upcomming weekend.

Size 68 x 89 (93 vid RJ-45) x 27mm

Sincerely Lasse
      Looks good. Can't wait for test results.

Ron

Lasse is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by 007Bond View Post
      Lasse, That's good news the driver is ready for testing. As usual I have a few questions. You said the drive card needs a 36V source and a controller. Will one 36V supply support multi drive cards, and what will you use as a controller until the 4 drive card controller is ready?
      I'm looking at a controller for Meanwell drivers that will control 4 drivers also. Why do you think these controllers are built with only 4 devices in mind, why not 5-6?

Hope your starting to feel better. I'll watch for your 8900 testing.---RICK
      My 36 V supply gives 350 W - it means that I can use 1 for two driver cards if Iīm not exceed app 170 w/card. Jannes controller has 4 separate schedules but apart from that, you can add delays and maximum and minimum values​​. For example, allowing time program 1 to control channel 2 (blue light). If you want you can then add the other channels with different delays with respect to the time program 1. In this way you can program many different variations.

The first tests will not be done with the Zalman 8900 as my aquarium probably will not use the Zalman 8900

I will test with a graphics card cooler instead

Later, however, I will use the Zalman 8900 for another application

Sincerely Lasse

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by acabgd View Post
      I want to run my two chips in parallel as mentioned before, but after speaking with Lasse he warned me about the center channel forward voltage being different. Could I use 5 of the drivers you have listed for protecting each channel along with a fast acting fuse? Would this solve the problem with forward voltage differences between the channels?

Thanks in advance,
      Jeremy

007Bond is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Lasse, I think I understand. I'm use to thinking in terms of Meanwells...Looking for 36V and with a current that will drive the number of chips you want to run... at the current you want to drive them at. For Jannes, do you need to size the power supply according to the wattage you are going to push the chips at? Are you still looking at constant current supplies?
      With his controller, you have 4 "Schedules", with each individual schedule able to control 5 or more chip channels, individually at desired delays and max/min values. Is this right?---Rick

ronreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by jg210302 View Post
      I want to run my two chips in parallel as mentioned before, but after speaking with Lasse he warned me about the center channel forward voltage being different. Could I use 5 of the drivers you have listed for protecting each channel along with a fast acting fuse? Would this solve the problem with forward voltage differences between the channels?

Thanks in advance,
      Jeremy
      Which drivers are you referring to? Keeping the UV channel independent and running off one driver, or running the two UV channels (2 chips) in parallel and running off one driver would be ideal.

Ron

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

DIY Multichip LED Build

Please explain the forward voltage of the UV channel, I was intending on using meanwell HLG -100H-36B to drive 2 parallel uv channels. For the other channels 4 blue on a HLG - 185H-36B and the same for 4 the whites. 2 chips and 3 drivers.
      I would rather go the driver board solution, will it be available for those that bought the multichips? If so any idea of cost and when?

With regards to spread would 2 chips be fine for a 1.8m tank centre braced with two island situated on either side of brace. Chips positioned on either side of brace centrally. I hope this makes sense.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by ronreef View Post
      Which drivers are you referring to? Keeping the UV channel independent and running off one driver, or running the two UV channels (2 chips) in parallel and running off one driver would be ideal.

Ron
      Ron,
      I was referring to the DC/DC voltage regulators that acabdg mentioned so that I could control voltage on each channel independently. I figure if I had voltage control of each channel and a fuse for each channel I could get away with my two chips being run on two drivers?

Sorry I am not good at this stuff guys...

Reza, my idea is very similar... Two chips - Two drivers... Your combination should work better than mine because you will be driving the channels with the higher forward voltage with a separate driver...
      Last edited by jg210302; 10-17-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

DIY Multichip LED Build

I was also looking at acabdg solution but not sure how to use a controller in that setup.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information